Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A NEW Abstraction!

Well, I'm pleased to report that I've finished yet ANOTHER old project that I've had languishing in the back of my design pile. It's MALACHITE MAZE, the next in the abstract Impressionist Collection. I'm soooooooo happy to have finished this green beauty at last!


My inspiration for this piece was a hunk of real malachite, that I used to match all the green threads. I also thought that bargello patterns would echo the actual malachite rings, so I used two bargello patterns in the overall design. The focal point of the design is the central box with a four-way bargello pattern (something I've always wanted to try and this was the perfect use for it)....


The rest of the patterns are composed of easy stitches - just combined in interesting ways, using a variety of threads. As with my other abstracts, the patterns are worked in "thick and thin" areas - the outer areas are done with the thicker #5 pearl cotton threads, and the inner areas are worked in the same patterns, but with thin threads. This effect gives the piece some interesting texture and dimension, and I am always intrigued by the play of light and dark, thick and thin threads.


It has been awhile since I've done one of my abstracts, so it took me a bit of concentation to focus on the design.... But once I got back into my "green groove," I whizzed through this design in no time at all, AND enjoyed the process! (I was soooo relieved to see it finally finished after all this time - WOO HOO!)


And, for all you stitchers who might like to try this design in a different color, I do give you a list of the types of threads you need to pull if you want to change the colors.

If you are interested in MALACHITE MAZE, please visit my website and click on the IMPRESSIONIST COLLECTION page for more information.

7 comments:

mskathk said...

Wow! What a beauty!

Carol said...

That is a very interesting piece. Love how you used Malachite as your reference point.

NCPat said...

Fantastic! I love the bargello addition and you truly made it Malachite! Nice work!

Sharon said...

It's beautiful!

Karol said...

Another beautiful piece!!

Anja´s Wunschpunsch said...

Wow, this is a wonderful pattern. Fantastic.

Greetings
Anja

Miss Eagle said...

It's just gorgeous!