Monday, June 7, 2010

Is It Summer Yet?

Is it feeling like summer yet where you live? Well, regardless of the weather, here's a sunny project to get you in the summertime mood -- my latest design called DAISY CHAIN.


It's done on 18 ct. mono canvas and the finished size is 10" by 10". It uses one skein of Watercolours and a bunch of #5 pearl cotton colors, as well as a gold Ribbon Floss.

The inspiration of this piece came from an earlier design of mine, called DAISY COLLAGE. Here's the little box of daisies that started the whole thing:


When I stitched these little daisies, I had so much fun, I wondered how I could stitch them again, and give them a bigger part in the design. I wanted to see what it would look like to do LOTS of little daisies. So I decided on working four rows of "daisy chains" - each in a different color - and then let the rest of the design come together around those daisies.

I couldn't decide what color of daisies I wanted. White or yellow or pink? So I compromised and chose a variegated thread that had a little bit of all of those colors, plus a lovely peachy/apricot color as well (Watercolours 053 - "Coral Blush"). On the pattern, I've also included thread lists for other color versions in PINK, YELLOW, and LAVENDER.

And in my usual fashion, as I was stitching the cover model, I began to wonder what the design would look like if it were stitched on GREEN canvas with the PINK threads. So I started stitching a second model. (My intention is to make it into a pillow one of these days.) I just finished the pink version this week, and TA DA -- here it is for you to see:


Here's a close-up of the design:


Now here's the thing....this design is all about the daisies, and you can play with it to make it your favorite color of daisy. If you love white daisies you can stitch the whole thing with white daisies (well, I used ecru, actually, for my white daisies, but I digress)... or yellow daisies, if those are your favorites.

And oh, I almost forgot....the pattern also includes a second pattern for a slightly smaller "companion" version of this daisy design - it's 7" by 7" with a smaller daisy flower in the center.

So....if you're a daisy lover, or just want a fun summery project, check out my new DAISY CHAIN on my website!

7 comments:

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

Daisies are my favorite flower of all time! I'm going to order this tonight and can't wait to stitch one for myself (yellows) and one for my great neice (pinks). Thanks for this lovely summery canvas...it even looks 'light' and 'cool' which is perfect for summer stitching.

SueB said...

omigosh, Laura, they're amazing - TFS! aren't daisies the friendliest flowers? (seen "You've Got Mail"?)

Margaret said...

Golly! That is really pretty.

Sheila said...

That is just beautiful. Lovely finish

Wendy said...

Laura,

I drooled over this yesterday, and Coni's post made me come back again and drool some more.

I think I absolutely must stitch the pink version in honor of my mom! She died of metastatic breast cancer in December, and she loved daisies! So... pink.. and daisies= PERFECT. Plus, I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

Must.go.buy!

Raven/Missy said...

This is gorgeous!

Rosali said...

Your daisies are very nice. Sus margaritas han quedado hermosas.