Friday, November 5, 2010

Still Stitching....

Here's another "FUN" project I've been working on as the mood hits (and my eyes aren't too tired). It's The Prairie Schooler's set of alphabet letters.


The leaflets show these designs stitched individually on 18 ct. fabric, but I'm stitching them en masse, and on 24 ct. Congress Cloth. As the photo above shows, this project requires a really long set of scroll bars. In order to figure out the size of the overall piece, I calculated the size of each design on 24 ct. canvas, then cut pieces of paper to fit. Then I rearranged the paper pieces until I had a suitable arrangement for all of the alphabet letters.

I decided to have A, B, and C centered on the top row, and then there will be four more rows of six blocks - to make 27 blocks in all (the patterns have all 26 alphabet letters plus one extra block.) I forget the overall dimensions of my layout, but it's gonna be BIG. But I figure it will be a truly fantastic piece to see when it's done. And I really am enjoying working on each letter block at a time. Each letter has so many witty details, it's fun to look at while stitching.

Here are my B and C blocks up-close:


The stitch I'm mainly using is the plain ol' Tent Stitch - or Basketweave Stitch when I have the room. But as I stitch, if I can substitute other easy stitches, I do. Check out the little red house on the B block; and the satin stitched leaves on the C block; and also the itty bitty french knot trees in the C block. Nothing too stressful or difficult, but just a change here and there to add interest and dimension to the piece (not to mention speeding up the stitching time).

I was happy to get the G for Garden block done while the work on my yard was underway - it's one of my favorite blocks in the series:


Now.....on to the rest of the alphabet!

8 comments:

Amy said...

I love your Prairie Schooler project. Did you know there is a blog of people who are stitching the entire alphabet too? http://psabcbee.blogspot.com/

Catherine Michelle said...

This is such a nice project!!! It'll be magnificent!!!! Congratulations! I look forward to follow your progress.

Tru Vianos said...

I am also working on the Prarie Schooler alphabet. I had put it down and not touched it for a while but just the other day I showed it to a friend and then seeing yours today has motivated me to stitch on it again after I finish my holiday stitching..... thank you for sharing.

Sara Leigh said...

This is such a good idea! It looks lovely.

Teresa S. said...

I am working on the same project and on Congress cloth. But I am doing it in 3 rows horizontally. But I love your idea to do it vertically! And to get a little creative with other stitches as the opportunities arise-Thanks for sharing this one!

Denise said...

Oh WOWOWOWOWOW! What a piece! It will be AMAZING! Please keep steady progress on this as I can't wait to see it completed!

Smiles - Denise

Rachel said...

Love the beehive on the G for Garden panel!

Miss Eagle said...

I can imagine what it will look like when finished!!!