Monday, March 21, 2011

Celebrate Spring!

Here in Northern California, we're being deluged by lots of rain. That hasn't stopped the daffodils and camellias from blooming though.




To celebrate Spring this year, I got stitching with pastel threads early and was able to finish a new pattern called BARGELLO EGG before Easter arrives! Woo Hoo! Here it is:


It's a LARGE egg -- 7.5" x 9" -- on 18 ct. mono canvas. I stitched it on plain white canvas (something I haven't done in a long while) but it could also be stitched on eggshell, any of the pastel colors, or even the white with opal sparkles canvas....

(Psst: The actual colors of this piece are slightly softer and more muted - true pastels. For some reason, my scanner insists on brightening pastel colors and I can't get it adjusted to match the original. But trust me, the real egg is softly pastel!)

It uses one skein of a new Caron Watercolours color - 270, "Easter Egg" (and how appropriate is that?!?) with a luscious handful of springtime pearl cottons, as well as a very soft metallic Ribbon Floss. I've included an optional background pattern (that looks like rows of little eggs) which I stitched in a soft Hi-lights thread. If you want to make a stand-up egg you wouldn't need to stitch the background... or if you wanted to make a pillow and add a real ribbon bow on the top of the egg, you might want to use another background thread that isn't so fragile.

In any event, here's an up-close look at the spring motifs that run along the center of the egg (they were very fun to stitch):


And as an added bonus, I've included a smaller Easter egg pattern (3.5" x 4.5")that could be whipped up as a matching ornament as well.

If you've had enough of winter and dark colors, you may be ready to hop into Spring with a new pattern.... so check out my website for more information on my new BARGELLO EGG.

6 comments:

geeky Heather said...

It's so beautiful and springy!! And the wee rabbit is so cute.

nataliyalta said...

Excellent egg! very festive and beautiful! And as you can get it? Sincerely, Natalie http://rukodlnij-bereg.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

Laura, this is so pretty...definitely looks like spring!

Edy said...

So Sweet!

Barbara Elmore said...

Cutest Stitched Easter Egg I've seen!

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

Wow, this is really sweet looking. So creative and fun and makes me ready to jump right into some spring stitching!